Words for Mamma from a 28 Year old me


Dear Mamma:

How are you? I hope all is well with you. You know, I did not have any more to say until I realize that I am already 28 years old. I realized that I am not getting any younger and so, are you. Growing up, we shared so many things together. In fact, you don’t share most of the time but you give your all to your children. I remember the days when I was just a kid. Those days were full of happiness, at least according to what I saw and feel. You were the joy in our home and you cooked the most delicious meals. You sewed my torn clothes and papa’s. I was looking forward every Sundays because I could finally taste the bread you brought home from the market. During bedtime, you tell timeless tales that you and granny went through in life when you were a kid and that meant an inspiration to me, even up until now. Those were the days and I miss it!

I became a teenager, and everything was completely different. We had a lot of arguments and misunderstandings. I was quite impatient and rebellious in a way that I don’t know why. I was extremely lazy and I wanted the world to revolve around me. But you were patient, resilient, but some other times, we fought. But there’s nothing I can say that could take away your love. You continue to cook the most delicious food, you sewed my torn clothes, and you attended parent conferences at school even though I didn’t hear the telltales at night anymore. I even saw your proud face every time you came up the stage to wear me the medals and pin my ribbons. From then, I always wanted to make you happy and proud.

I am now a career man and I realized that I grew up so fast! I could only imagine the little boy 20 years ago, so happy and so independent. It is true that I now earn and provide a portion of it for you but also I realized that you start to grow gray hairs and wear wrinkled face. You started to feel aches in your body while I am not around and it hits me hard every day. I no longer ask you to sew my clothes and cook food for me but I sure miss you doing them for me. There’s no greater pleasure than seeing you happy and proud, and strong. I am now 28 years old but I wanted to go back to my 4 and 5-year old me when times aren’t tough when I could see your fine skin and blooming eyes. I wanted to go back when you were holding my hand every time we cross the streets, and you wearing me socks, and buttoning my clothes, and wearing me briefs. I wanted to go back when you were not catching your breath from a long walk. I sure miss those times. Now, you may have gray hairs, and a blurry vision, and wrinkled skin but you are still absolutely stunning! I wish to stop the world from revolving and stop the time from running because I am not yet done giving you what you deserve and showing you the best of life. Right now, I could only hope that everything's well.


Popular posts from this blog

Mon Ami, Mon Frere

When You Found the One

Love and Coy